jueves, 7 de noviembre de 2013

Hello again


How are you? I´m fine, I’m meeting people from different parts of the world, and thus learning more and more about other cultures. This is partly because Ferney  Voltaire,  the town where I live, is very close from Geneva, and Geneva hosts many inter-governmental organizations such as CERN (European Organization for Nuclear Research), the International Federation of Red Cross, WHO (World Health Organization), UN (United Nations)... In the next letter I will tell you about the CERN, because next Saturday I’m going to visit it, but today I am telling you about my weekend.




On Saturday, we were at Neuchatel. It´s a beautiful city, it sits next to the lake with the same name.

  
It is dominated by the Castle and the Collegiate Church and it’s only 1 hour and a half from Geneva. We walked through lovely streets in the centre of the city. We finished the walk in the collegiate. The sight from there was incredible; here you have a picture with my son Diego having a look from the church at the city.
 The church has two important romanic parts: the front and the arcade. It has a sculpture of Guillermo Farel, who played a very important role in the Reformation. Inside, the church is impressive. The nave is gothic and the cenotaph of the counts of Neuchatel is a very important medieval sculpture.





On Sunday we had a delicious fondue for lunch; Do you know what it is? It is a typical Swiss food. The fondue consists in a pot (caquelon) placed at the centre of the table, full of melted cheese. The cheese is eaten by dipping long-stemmed forks with bread into the cheese. I love it!




In the afternoon we visited Geneva again. We had a walk around the centre of the city, eating roasted chestnuts. Let me tell you a fun thing about chestnuts and languages: chestnuts in French are called “marron”. Yes, this is it, exactly like the Spanish word for the colour brown. That is, we call colour brown with the same word the French use to call the chestnuts, instead of using our own word for that, and calling it “castaño”.
 I´m so sorry but I dont´ have any photo of this day. I promise that next time I will take a lot only for you J
I miss you
Inés

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario